Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Pangkor Woes & Bitchslap Me Baby!

My Coral Island trip was toss,
because the water was murky
there were all these touristy people floating around
trying to snorkel with their life-jackets on.
As If!
So then I just mucked around until it was time to explore Pangkor Island.
See, I may know Pangkor Laut like the back of my hand
but I know nuts about Pangkor.
Depressing
is what it was...
We borrowed a moped
it took 20 mins or so to tour the island
and it is a beautiful island,
all that hilly verdant greenery
but when we reached the tourist/backpacker areas
I wanted to weep in despair
15 stores, each selling the same generic shit
tacky motels
6 Ramly burgers
all side-by-side
there were only a handful of ang-moh tourists
the bulk was made up of locals enjoying the long weekend
What if Pangkor was their only stop?
Is this the impression that they will bear of Malaysia when they return?
The ang-mohs looked miserable and lost
I don't blame them
what a fucking shithole
It was beyond embarrasing.
I wanted to personally apologise to them for being misled
to thinking Pangkor was more than it was
I was so sad.
Fucking advertising lies.
God, don't we do that with penang too?
All the photo-editing to make and beach and ocean look more pristine?
To lure tourists,
and fool them into thinking more of what is essentially crappy?
Depressing.
So, says I
"Lets go to the Dutch Fort, I'm feeling suicidal here"
The reply I got was something akin to
"The Dutch Fort will push you over the edge"
But we went, for a laugh.
It was the epitome of a cheap tourist gimmick.
*cringe*
I can't go into it, might slit my wrists.
Even the Batu Bersurat was like, so not-taken-care-of ok?
Like, no signs, (except for "Batu Bersurat/ Historical Rock")
Where are the explanations as to why, how, when?
Come on man.
My only consolation was that this kind of thing happens everywhere.
Every country has
crappy tourist traps
that even the locals would never think to set foot upon.
_____________________________
One thing Pangkor does have though,
is a damn good hair salon,
where the wash your hair
give you a 30 minute back massage
wash, massage your face
rinse & blow (your hair idiot)
all for 10 ringgit.
Its like over an hour of pampering ok?
I made the mistake
of telling them to trim the hair at the nape
and she cut and cut and cut
and me being in my depressed mode
I just let her
and now
its so freaking bad that
I avoid looking at myself in the mirror
I just don't want to know anymore.
____________________
On a lighter note,
I was feeling my arse just now
(no, I don't make it a habit of feeling my own arse up, I was moisturizing)
And you know what?
its damn firm okay
Must be all that walking, hiking and blading
* Piackkkk*

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You actually went to the Dutch Fort... sucked in! Just like I was :P

The fort looks like an abandoned construction project. The people building it probably got halfway through and thought: vergeet deze onzin, Ik heb een rook... and then they cabut from the place.

But there is one place near a campsite that serves pretty decent breakfast - sausages, eggs and hash browns - perfect with coffee and a morning ciggy. The same place also does ikan bakar at night. Nice.

Unknown said...

by the way, I reckon you should just do a Sinead O'Connor and start fresh.

just kidding :P

Eaglet said...

thank you for describing what i couldnt bring myself to describe for fear of my memories transporting me back to the sheer 'WTF is this shithole'-ness of the place.

tak pernah try ikan bakar or breakfast there, just the same old seafood restaurant.

mmm lobster!

I'm thinking about sinead....

Edgar "Jobe" Gasper said...

and now its not just a fringe to see anymore...

CAPES!!! if u see this, its ur mission now to have Mr Cannon shoot this woman, and upload! upload! upload to ur blog...

ur services shall be rewarded with a teh ais tonite! (or any other mamakie beverage of ur choice), although i know the mission has rewards of its own, no?

-ed

Eaglet said...

Hello, picture not the same lah ok...

Anonymous said...

unfortunately, my blogsite sucks century eggs, and does not have pic upload like this one...
...but i will still fulfill request...

email can wat...

Anonymous said...

Mazatlan, Mex is that way too, the pics show beautiful azure water, gorgeous island views, WRONG!! Vendors and vendors galore, a few bars here and there, and the beaches are too dirty to walk on...it's a crime I say!! cruise industry bastards!! =?