Monday, June 20, 2005

Shopping


Shopping!
They said.
So we trudged to Emporium
and along the way
we passed the Royal National Park
where the statue at the Dancing Fountain
caught my eye
and then I had the most delicious Cherry crumble
at the Gourmet Food Hall
It was so good
I had it
Twice
It was strange how I was the only person in our group who hadn't been to BKK before
yet was unofficially appointed tour guide.
I led them to and fro,
up and down
left and right
here and there
my little Penangite army.
We also went to Siam Square that afternoon where we
munched on Dunkin Donuts
people watched
and spotted a pair of gorgeous twins.
Male, of course.
The next day I hauled everyone out of bed at 9,
then we gleefully checked into our new hotel
(en-suite bathrooms)
and caught the BTS
so that we could
spend all Saturday at Chatuchak Market.
Earrings and flip-flops for RM2 a pair.
Tops for 10.
Unbelievable bargains, clothing, books, accesories, furniture
you name it, they have it.
We walked for hours
as the market became choked with more and more people.
All hot and sweaty.
all dazed from sheer variety.
I met a Marine called Terry
who kept accusing me of following him
because he kept bumping into me.
I had coffee at a great little bar
that played Katie Melua.

I had a simple yet delicious fried rice lunch.

We got stopped by the Park Police for smoking in a park.

And the policeman insisted on personally showing us the "No Smoking" sign.

So I insisted on showing him that there was

no "No Smoking" sign at the entrance we used.

We wickedly pointed other smokers out

and when they were sufficiently distracted,

we discreetly slipped what felt like a fat wad of cash

in the palm of one.

and hurriedly made off.

RM20 it was.

(=

No comments: