Wednesday, March 01, 2006

After Dinner Chit-Chat

I am actually sitting here and typing
because I'm too lazy to get off my arse and get home.

5 feet away por-por is waving her paper fan
and talking non-stop
every so often I toss in a question, grunt, make a sound effect

she's nagging about religion
or my having none
she's bitching about my mother's family
my mother's lack of discipline, integrity
these are stories I have heard again and again my entire life

The bitter rich matriach, looking down her nose
at the poverty from which my mother came

She is being downright rude yet still I sit unruffled

Now I see why daddy and aunt don't speak a word to her
though they live under the same roof.

She asks, yet doesn't about my plans in life
questions more to belittle me than actually find out what they are
she tells me I should have a plan
that I shouldn't jump from man to man like ______

She doesn't wait to hear that i do indeed have a plan
and that I haven't had a boyfriend in over a year
because I just can't be bothered with trivial relationships
I don't try and tell her.

I know that this is probably the longest conversation she's had in months
she saves them for me, the only one who will listen
and with each, she gets more scathing

In one corner, the African Grey parrot, Polly
is also chattering incessantly

If anything, I feel pity
Not anger.

One day, when I am not suffering from yet another bout
of PMS and sheer physical drainage

I will take my grandmother aside
and really talk to her, really tell her about me
who I am, what I do, what I want to do

I will tell her that she has been a horrible mean bat
and this is why her children don't speak to her

I will try and show her how being nice
is just so much more fulfilling than being a bitter old bat

I will teach her about appreciating the good traits
and constructively criticising the bad
rather than just plain pernicious commenting

I will show her that I am my own person
and that I shouldn't be punished for whatever happened between her,
my mother and my father over 20 years ago

Her verbal beating has never gotten me down because my childhood
has armoured me with such a strong sense of who I am
that it would take a tank to bring me down.

Okay, she's gone and shuffled away
and I am being eaten alive by the pet mosquitos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Swatow Lane Ice Kacang with Mangos! I think we're related. I got too many relatives like that. Heh.

Eaglet said...

Hmm, never had it with mangoes. Sounds good. Bloody relatives ah I tell you, always keep a pair of earplugs in pocket. And bag. And Car. And insole.
Just in case.

Anonymous said...

Picasso was my great-great... grandpa. He couldn't stand my relatives either back then...