Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Gloomy Sunday

Sunday, 6.45 pm, Pangkor Laut

In 1933 the song
Gloomy Sunday was written
by a Hungarian composer
spinning a crushing emotional tale
it spurred many suicides
so much so that it was banned in many countries in Europe
go read the link la

I was introduced(rather, forced upon) to it ages ago by an ex boyfriend
who played it incessantly after our bad break-up

Today has been slow
a dark cloud has somehow descended on me
for no reason, and it scares me
that it has happened in paradise

The fact that the sun has played peek-a-boo all day
hasn't helped

My seven friends left this morning
as I sat on the cement stump at the very edge of the pier
in the sun (twas' sunny then)
shaping my mouth into a pronounced moue
and pretending to sob and lunge off
into the cool green waters

And, really, it wasn't that bad, them leaving
I have my aunt and uncle is coming
but when I went back to the room it felt
asthough all the joie de vivre had seeped out of me

and I spent the entire afternoon in
glum, working on writing

when I finally stepped out at half-six
I glanced skywards
and thought "Gloomy Sunday'', how apt
then I looked at my Ipod and gave myself a choice

pick some upbeat music to cheer yourself up
or
accellerate your situation with bluesy stuff
cue coltrane and ellington
"In A Sentimental Mood" & "Rhapsody in Blue"

cause'I be blue.

Maybe it's because my camera battery is dead
and I haven't reached my weekend picture taking quota

Guests walk by, and though I normally greet them
chirpily, as though to my own home
today I make little attempt to smile
and try and disappear into the retaining stone wall by the pool
in the ditch-type-thing in which we rested during our trek
in the downpour last Friday

I walk over the sea
peer into the clear shallows
today it is abundant with urchins
I never noticed them til today
how is it possible?
Seems omnious to see them today
all spiky and angry black looking

Fish swim in shoals
I can hear my cacat friends voices in my head
" How do they all go in the same direction?"

"They follow the one in front's tail"

"How does the first one know where to go?"

How ah?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the first fish doesnt know where he's going either.

he's just too stubborn to admit it. :)

Anonymous said...

The first fish is obviously male. He doesn't know where he's goin and he dont care. Not gonna stop to ask for directions either.

Eaglet said...

Thats exactly what I said to cubed too!

Anonymous said...

hey, we males ALWAYS know where we're going.

maybe not at first. but we always know when we get there. ;)

Eaglet said...

cubed: Yeah, yeah...if you say so la haaaaa