Friday, November 03, 2006

Mom tells me she doesn't want to talk about it.

But I tell her she must.
She says they have found a tumour
and either way, operating or not
she could go blind.

She says that she is cursed with all the deseases
grandpa had, that she now has to take 12 pills
at each meal

(and this is when YM comes up the stairs bawling his eyes out
over an argument with Dadman and I pause to placate him)

But her information is not complete and I hate that
my aunt doesn't know much, her boyfriend isn't there
Like what sort of tumour?How big?
How come nobody feels the need to thoroughly know?

I want someone to go with her each time she sees the doctor
so that we know exactly what the problem is
and thus, learn the steps to take in event
of an emergency as well as take necessary steps to
fix it.

So that we don't jump to conclusions, assume or
doubt.

But I am not there.
So she goes on her own because
she doesn't want to bug anyone she says

This is when I explode, and
tell her to get her priorities straight
and that its not a matter of 'bugging people'
'when you're so sick, its not ever about inconveniencing people
its about making things better!'

Its a matter of making sure that
that at least someone will be there for her
understand everything completely.

She says she doesnt want to disturb me and my life here.
But doesn't it make things worse if nobody has
complete information to give me
and I have to end up calling 4 fucking different people in
Penang to ask them to try and find out?

She tells me that I am yelling
and that I should go.

I tell her she deserves to be yelled at.

And she is sobbing, saying she has no one
that no one truly cares enough
that they'd rather she die.

Then she says, "You want to know what started all this?"
"I all started when I gave birth to you."

This is when I go completely still, silent

She continues into a tearful tirade 23 years past
and when she is done, I tell her quietly that I must go.

And I sit there, still reeling.

I know its not my fault, I am smarter than to believe that
I know that if anything, she made the choices
I know that her lifestyle has only aggravated her condition
but I cannot help but be affected

I know that if I ever have the health problems she has
I would do my utmost to life my life fully, completely, do it right
as best I can.


I go into the bathroom so no one can see/hear me
sink down on the freezing tile floor
then I dial the only person who sees me laid bare
and I cry.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes hitting below the belt can be very painful, especially when it's someone close at heart. Keep your head up and I'm sure you'll see the silver lining amidst the emotional turmoil

Anonymous said...

i dont know what to say. im speechless. i hope she gets well soon and i hope that she'll do everything in her power to make herself to be in a better condition than where she is now. and i feel sorry for you that she had to let out her anger on you. i wish both of you nothing but the best

H.C. Tan said...

so sorry to hear abt it..im sure u'd want to b there for ur mom as she did when u had ur frequent period thingy..have faith and she'll pull through. probably she's saying these things so that u dont worry. every mom loves her children a lot a lot a lot..and its ok to cry..u dont have to b tough all the time k? *hugz

Anonymous said...

I truly don't know what more to say. You're not responsible for her, that much I know. That's why I told you to leave in the first place. She's fucking 45 years old aja, when the fuck is she ever gonna wake up?? And now this? I'll be there with her for her next appointment and I'll record everything the doctor says.I just hope that you're feeling better. Loves U.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry babe.. and I know how you feel.. I just sent you an email before reading this post. We really have to be strong for both our great moms. Love you babe.

Anonymous said...

babe, i'm so sorry to hear that. i'll call you soon okay? thanks...bye...

Jo said...

hey.. you take care alright.. hugs..
:)

Eaglet said...

I guess every relationship has its ups and downs,we push and pull, support and hurt, laugh and cry.

And thank you for being there, listening, feeling me (=

I'm okay, how can I not be with such great friends and family?I'm blessed.

BTW which nick?

Anonymous said...

Nick Dell :-)

Shiny Blue Black said...

Hi Aja, sorry I missed this when it came out. Your mother is afraid, she lashed out at you because she perceived you were getting angry at her (we all know you are not really angry AT her, just frustrated at the situation). My mother does this too, all the time.

She puts on a brave face, and she doesn't want the guilt of having you disrupt your life to look after her - but trust me, what she really wants the most is for you to brush away her admonisions not to look after her and to run home to be by her side. That way she doesn't feel guilty for her illness, and at the same time you demonstrate how much you love her.

I don't know if this makes sense, but it's what I've figured out with dealing with my own mother on a daily basis. Mothers don't want to tell their children to do things for them (even when you ask what they want done), they want their children to demonstrate their affection and love in spite of being told to not do so.

My thoughts are with you and your family, I really hope everything works out.