Friday, November 03, 2006

The Book

It is 10 degrees celcius out
but a lovely, sunny day.

I am sitting beside the Thames outside the Tate Modern
reading my book
YM and Dadman usher me in
but my feet hurt and the book, though I've read it
3 times before, tightens its grip on me.

Later it gets too cold and I move into the Turbine Hall
find myself an empty bench that could double as a
supper table for 12.

Here is a book that never fails
to tug my heart strings
that I am always, always emotionally affected by

I look up and there is a cluster of american tourists
in their 50's, standing and sitting by me
2 pence is one nickle! They argue

I go back to the book
I look up again minutes later
the cluster has moved and in their place
an italian family
Si! Si! The mother says, gentle melodic tones into the phone

I read on,
deeper and deeper into something I can identify so much with
"Would you rather be perfect with someone for a little while
or be just 'okay' your whole life?"

A story about two people so in love, so desperate,
so willing to take risks and are perfect despite
the imperfections, reality
where every second together counts, every I love you

somehow tears are coursing down my face
the book, the time of month
the emotional day have all had their say today
and around me 10 french students have shared the bench
pressing into me, speaking over me
Oui!Quarante mille..

They are oblivious to my tears, and I am glad.

3 comments:

Shimmers said...

may i know what book is that?

Eaglet said...

The Time Traveler's Wife (=

Shimmers said...

ah ok... thanks..

i thought it would have an obvious title...