Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Putty

Last week I whipped out some handy
Japanese sachets that dear aunty Pat sent me
I served up Tori Karaage, Gyu Don, Japanese Omelette
and Brocolli in Oyster Sauce.

"How did you slice the steak so thinly?"
Good question since that was the trickiest part- we don't get the
super fine slices that we can find in Malaysia

"I froze the steaks slightly and used
a very sharp knife."

"Ooh. Wouldn't have thought of that!"

As most Japanese meals are high in the
umami factor, I soon had them kow-towing to my
kitchen skills and
confiscating my passport.

"You're never to go home"

So today, I decided for the first time ever
to make beef rendang complete with kerisik
(
but limau purut leaves illek).


YM took one mouthful and said
"Is it possible for you to make something
that doesn't taste good?"

" Um...well I could try"

"No, no , no don't please, ignore him!"
Dadman butted in.

I may never be Michelin starred,
but hey! at least I'm making people's tongues smile.

Which brings me to the UK's top 3 chefs
Heston Blumenthal, Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver
each spectacular in their own way

Heston all nerdy, yet a complete genius with his unconventional
molecular cooking
(my cousin once told me, that when they ate at his
restaurant was the only time she saw her
then boyfriend of 6-7? years close to tears)

Gordon with his ruthless, scathing tongue and practical approach

Jamie with his dedication to good, simple food
and turning around the UK school dinners and helping
disadvantaged people.

To say I will eat at a restaurant of all three chefs
would be presuming that I will receive a humongous windfall
sometime in the next year.

To say that I will most definately eat at ONE,
is attainable

(even if I have too sell my Ugg boots or
starve for a month or sell my babies)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can, catch Hell's Kitchen...a reality show starring Gordon Ramsey. He is the man! Could make onions cry, that man.

As for Jamie Oliver...he is a bit too basic. To me he's not quite as up there as Gordon and Anthony Bourdain. Most likely you'll probably find it easiest to get at Jamie's cooking. Bon appetit.

Eaglet said...

I've seen it lah. I am foodTV queen. Currently watching Ramsay's erm..is it Kitchen Disasters? Something like that.

Them man is ruthless as ever.

Bourdain is good too, but I was talking Brit-ish mate.

Oliver cooks simple wholesome food, I am most interested in his passion to help others (=

Anonymous said...

Then for a belated birthday present, I will take you to Gordon Ramsay's restaurant when I make it to London next time I'm in town and we can get a table. Then at least you will have tried one of them. I'd loved to have taken you to the Fat Duck, but I won't be making it to Bray anytime soon. ;-)

Eaglet said...

OMG *swoons*

Anonymous said...

I am:

a) envious
b) jealous
c) covetous
d) All of the above

Yup...definitely d)
But woo-hoo for you!

Eaglet said...

WOO HOO for me!!!!