Sunday, November 05, 2006

Bonfire Night

Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder, treason and plot
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot

Bonfire Night (eve) and we're having guests
Fireworks in our garden
Jacket potatoes in the oven
and 4 types of bangers sizzling on the grill

Wine is flowing
and below us, all across the bay
fireworks are soaring, exploding into the night sky

I rush to the top floor with my camera
take a few shaky shots
then crinkle my nose in disgust

I rush down again, stick my head through
the gap in banister railings and say
"I don't suppose we might have a tripod might we?"
NMTP turns to look at me
"Ah, but we do, and a brand new one too!"
Dadman huffs up the stairs to show me.

I set up, dress up
t-shirt, turtleneck and Bantum's crazy-warm jacket
jeans, socks, boots, scarf
(Thank you my friends for keeping me warm!)

I go outside into the cold
stamp my feet, snap a pic
I fill my cheeks with air
and watch it puff out, steamy stream

Then back into the house, chattering teeth
I sit at the table, in the centre,
dividing teenagers and parents
Split potato, fluffy, creamy, melting butter
sweet, steamy, salty and all things nice on the tongue

We joke, and talk about serious issues
I make a 'not' joke
"I'm so sorry that half-term has ended
and the boys must go back to school this Monday.
NOT!"

The guests pile out, we pool to clean
I fill the bath with nearly scalding the water
and contemplate moving my bed by the boiler
as I sink into the warmth.

Tonight, I've been invited to a party.
See?See! I am not a social outcast!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, awesome pics.
Happy Guy Fawkes Day!

Anonymous said...

Err...I'll try to have merci...
I know it means something like thank you - merci...but you got me with Beaucoup (hostile takeover of beaus?)

Anonymous said...

see how in on pic the focus is on fireworks(sparklers) with the person silhoutted? Very powerful as compared to all the others.

Eaglet said...

I like the first picture too though!