Saturday, July 15, 2006

Seeking Friends In Copenhagen

Yes lah, yes lah, I know,
I haven't been updating my blog,
Cubed informed me as much.

I'm sorry?I'll refund your money back.

But how did a week past by in such a flurry?
How did a month go by so fast?
Yes, a month, I've been here 3 days shy of a month.

And you know what?things seem to be getting better
MTP and I are becoming more like girlfriends
plus today I emailed about 20 random
people from Friendster and Myspace in Denmark
offering myself up for friendship
(not something I've ever had to do before
but hey, gotta try something at least once)

I made 2 new friends (go me!)

Yesterday, I strolled the cobblestoned pedestrian street of
Stroget for hours
nipping into Zara and hyperventilating at the
cheap prices
hello, spaghetti strap top for 30DK,
thats RM18 okay?

Sales here are mad, you have to understand
the amount of self-restraint it takes to walk out
(that and the line at the cashier)

I walk away from the evil stores
head for the meandering lanes
and find a little basement sandwich bar
customers walk in and out for takeaway

I am the only one who sits in the homey basement
I sit on a huge wooden block stool
with a velvet cushion seat
watching the feet as they pass outside
making faces at the St.Bernard sitting outside the window

As I read my book, (borrowed from my aunt's sparse library)
of russian and chinese revolution sagas
family feuds, love, custom
beggers can't be choosers
for books here are heartbreakingly pricey
(send me books people!2nd hand also can)

I munch on a hard, crusty roll
filled with crabmeat and asparagus
lettuce and julienne carrots
in between sips of hot cappucino

I am undisturbed, and the single oscillating fan
(its a hot afternoon)
is fixed on me

this is the life.

3 things I've always adored about Europe

1)The bread
2) The parks
3) The street performers

So I strolled. Stroget dominates the town centre
and since its the jazz festival
you can here strains of jazz from every corner

The musicians have full-fledged pricey concerts at Tivoli
they play in pubs
they busk in parks
they sit at cafe tables
It is heaven I tell you.

Sean and I are pacing in front of
the jazz bar that I went to my 2nd weekend here
the music is vibrant, but I dont know if an 8 yr old
is allowed in

So we walk on, pass a trio sitting at at cafe
beside them a stall bursting with all manner of
ripe fruit, peaches, nectarines, raspberries, cherries
we buy a brown paperbag of plump cherries
I go into the bar and buy a glass of wine
and then we settle down on chairs on
the cobblestone pavement and munch on cherries
juice running down our chins as the
trio plays next to us.

Later we watch the street performers
a juggler on a unicycle


A magician that made me (and only me)
laugh so much I had to give him 5 Euros
(I was out of Kroner)
He wore a microphone headpiece
and amidst all the tricks that rendered everyone
speechless
said he would now tell a 'serious' joke
and do a Vincent Van Gogh wearing a microphone headpiece
impersonation
he then unhooked the piece from his ear
and let it dangle by his jaw
I was the only one that laughed.

At 9 my aunt got of work and we headed
for mexican at Mama Rosa's
on the way, dancers danced to the hypnotic beat of drums
a man plays the didgeridoo

The weather has been gloriously warm the entire week
but suddenly the temperature drops and the wind whips
Just so happens I am dressed like this:

Fucking freezing my arse off
I make haste to the rain
get back to the suburb just in time to catch the
last bus

12.30, Home.

Tomorrow I'm staying in town
so I can steep myself in free jazz
(=
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, so now she likes the WHITE earbuds. :p

10% hit rate isn't much. maybe you should offer money. ;)

Anonymous said...

Make the cheque out to Bard...thanks.

Argh...free jazz...I wants...

Eaglet said...

Ya lor, a wise man once said, 'white earphones are what distinguishes and Apple from...whatever else' or somemthing to that effect.

YOU are the one who said 'disappointing legions of fans!'


BArd: Your head la. Where's my maggi mee.

Julsgp said...

Ja ja... Jakob didnt email u mer?

Anonymous said...

READ YOU FRIGGIN EMAILS. Then you'll get your maggi mee.
*grumbles about nothing in particular*