Monday, July 24, 2006

The Heat

The heat has been crazy
hot and humid
driving anyone who isn't jumping in the
sea in a bikini or
walking around starkers, nuts.

It toys with us, fucks moods up.

Last night, I laid down flat in the backseat
of my aunt's BF's car
(licensed for 2)
trying to avoid detection by cops

BBQ at his house
then, utterly pooped at 10pm,I took the bus from
Dragor to Kongens Nytorv(20 mins)
the then metro from KN to Norreport (5 mins)
then waited 45 mins before I realised there were NO trains
to Hillerod (strike or something)
So I take the train to Lyngby, then the bus to Holte Station
then the train to Birkerod
then realised that the buses stopped running at midnight
had.to.take.a.cab.
RM60 for 7 mins. 1 am.

Period, first day somemore.

Not surprising that I woke up moody and emotional.

MTP also seemed moody
I'm always trying to gauge her mood,
or we're always trying to gauge each other's
but she's the boss so she can
whether conciously or not, take things out on me.

Its a dance for us, something we must learn.
One has to get used to someone else in their space
the other has to find space
you know what I mean?

After all, 2 strong women who have lived on their own
and fallen into their individual grooves
suddenly put together
can hardly be a ball

factor in cultural differences
hormonal changes
weather, personal and work stress and you have
a relationship that's delicate

So some days, we are angsty
never cold, always civil, somewhat lukewarm
hot weather fans the situation

like today, MTP unfurls a list of chores at breakfast
I've been away for 2 days and some things
are in disarray
it upsets me that she didn't realise I had already done
the rug and that
rather than constructively criticising
my attempt at putting a stack of CDs back into
her rack alphabetically
she chastised me for not asking her exactly
how she wanted them

but I don't know if it's my emotional state that
makes it seem so much worse
or her mood and way of delivery,
or if it's actually the way it is

I tackle things anyway, analysing our relationship in my head
it does fascinate me though, us women and our
various states of mind

I wonder what goes through her mind,
and how much of her is like me
I wonder how I would be in her place
and if she could subconciously resent me
because we live under the same roof
yet my responsibilities are so much less than hers

I realise that there are so many variables that
that one wouldn't normally even consider
could affect our relationship
its a delicate balance between friend and boss.

by evening, the heat winds down
MTP and BBB come into my room,
they sit on the floor
after some 'ummming and ahhing' we agree
on McDonalds for dinner
she goes to get, it and I take the BBB to the garden
then remember its time for his feeding
and I might as well get it done so MTP and I can eat in peace

Halfway through, I hear my phone ringing

5 missed calls

I call MTP back
"Can you please feed the BBB?"she asks
"I'm on top of it, we're almost finished" I tell her
"Good thinking", she says

She comes back and we sit on the terrace
and pig out on burgers, fries and hot fudge sundaes
we giggle about hot men
and then we're okay again

it's always like this, no matter how
grouchy we may be, we always become 'okay'
again as the day comes to a close
which is a good thing, until I start wondering
"was it just me?"

Women!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Sits in stunned silence*

Anonymous said...

yah welcome to our world. u women are about as predictable as a tornado in a nebraskan cornfield. i'm glad you're getting a taste of it. oughta teach you to be nicer to your men! :p