Thursday, May 19, 2005

And Here We Go..Yet Again

*Rant Warning*

I am about to motherfucking blow up!
I am this close to having a friggin fit.
I just walked in through the door,
dropped my stuff,
walked straight to my room and poured myself a stiff drink
out of the secret plastic container that I keep.

Yes, I am not ashamed to say that I have one.
It is precisely for days like these that I have it.
and man is this drink good.

I hate
weak people.
I seriously do,
and I'm sure part of it is because
there is weakness in me
too.

But what I loathe even more than that,
are people who act weaker than they actually are.
People that try and sound like
they are going to die any sec
ond
when they answer the phone.

People whose lives have degenerated so much
(their own doing),
that they only thing they have to cling to,
is attention from others.

People that don't try to help themselves,
but can still continously point the finger at others.
and yet,
I'm starting to believe that some people
are just born
with the inherent nature
to continually fuck up
it's what they do
what they were meant to do
what they are
and that doesn't change
and they can't help it.

It seems to create a balance in the world.

I am 21, and I wonder how can 2 adults
over the age of 40 be
so completely and utterly incompetent?
How?

Few phone calls in the evening told me that
my mother had admitted herself into the hospital.
Her. Alone. No one else.
(the people that were with her had left, and called me)

This is when I call her and she does that weak thing.
I know now's my cue to go to the hospital.
I sit back, I shut it out, I put it off.
My grandmother calls, "are you going?,whats wrong?" she asks
I don't know, I don't want to know, I think.
"you go" I say.
Eventually I reluctantly drag my arse out of the office
( I could have spent the night there)
and make my way to the hospital.

I hate hospitals
I've spent so much time in them
There were the many times when I was younger , with my mother
The many months with Joshua
The many weeks with Kevin
enough for a lifetime.

I steel myself before walking into the dorm
It hits me in a wave
When I get to the room my mother specified,
it is empty, untouched.

I am furious
I wonder if it is one of her ploys
a game
I call her, she had given me the wrong room number.

When she tries to speak to me, I launch into a lecture.
"Your life, you sort it out,
you got into this, you get out of it yourself,
how old are you?
you behave like a child, when will you learn,
when will you change,
when will you learn to stand on your own two feet
and take care of yourself and not depend on others?"
The words spill out in a torrent of frustration.

" I was there for you when you had problems.." she says

"yes, but how long before I picked myself up?,
how long are you going to live like this,
half your life is gone!"
She collapses into tears.

I ignore her and read a magazine.
I am not a cold, heartless bitch,
I'm just tired, I've done this for 10 years,
she just has to learn that people aren't going to
help her out of each and every jam.
I am tired of being the mother.

How much do you throw away,
how much can you lose,
how many friends and family members are you willing to give up,
how much must your life deteriorate,
before you realise
"alright, that's fucking enough?
I need to clean the fuck up,
and behave like a mature, responsible adult?"

Soon after, my grandmother arrives,
She launches into the same lecture as I.
"Don't bother, I 've done that" says I
"I say what I wish" says she
and there, in the private hospital room,
three generations engage in a shouting match.

At the hospital, I am annoyed
by people that honk their horns
at horrible indonesians and chinese having conversations
at the tops of their voices, in the wards
at a malay family of 14
with greasy hair and dirty fingernails
that cramp into the lift with me

Later, things calm.
I pretend I am somewhere else.
The nurse brings medication.
Pretty soon, it hits my mother,
I can see it in her eyes.
I take my grandma to buy dinner.

An angry driver is ramming on his horn, for someone has parked in his way.
The deafening noise jarrs me to the bone.

When I get back into the car
grandma tells me I have to go back out again cos mummy wants some too
Out of the car, in again, out, in, out in
it goes on...
Phone credit for mom,
deliver food n credit to mom,
deliver a note,
take grandma here
take her there.

Try doing all of that,
in a mother fucking Cheongsam and 3 inch heels.
After a day at work,
where you've had an event
and been standing all day.

The Cheongsam was my paternal grandma's.
it's forty years old
I got it altered, and now its mine
these are unique designs
that complement the womanly physique
but are
damned inconvenient
when you're continually sitting and standing(in/out of car)

I feel asthough, in her dress,
I have taken on the persona
of my paternal grandmother
rigid, disapproving, cold
iron armoured Chinese woman

I
finally drop grandma home
deliver one last thing.

At times like these,
the Penang driving drives me nuts
I want a shotgun
to shoot
every insipid motherfucker
that cuts across my goddamned path
When I hurtle top speed over the THIRD UNMARKED SPEED BUMP
(thanks to the geniuses that do our roads)
I CAN'T take it anymore
and unleash a raving mad
"MOTHERFUCKER!!!"
in a shrill scream bordering on lunacy.

It's when I get home that I realise that
All the time she was sitting in the car,
My grandma rested her feet on my laptop.

This is what I have to say:
Fuck this shit
On Saturday, I 'm screwing this and going to Pangkor Laut.

2 comments:

Gaylebait said...

Whatever it is... just make sure you don't scream in the office late into the night... one of the scanners may be around... and then... we may lose another valuable employee

Gaylebait said...

I'm still broken up over Number One.