Saturday, May 21, 2005

Confessions of the Cold Hearted

I went to the hospital at about half past eight
Sat around
Did a crossword

“Sneak me out” mom says, “Take me home”
“Are you crazy?” says I, “No way”

10 minutes later, I tell her I’m leaving.
When I hug her goodbye, she clings tight.

I walk out of the hospital
To my car
I hesitate before I open the door
When I do, I reach in, grab my laptop
And head back up


I’ll watch some stand-up comedy with her, I think to myself
Let her laugh a bit
Before I leave

So I get into bed with her
We watch some Ron White,
Some Mitch Hedburg
Some Tony Woods

We laugh together

And for a moment
Mother and Daughter
Flaws and Complications
Vanish
We are but two human beings
Bound by humour, laughter

“If I die,” she starts, “Will you look after your sister?”

I have been looking after my sister since she was born, 10 years ago, it’s not something I’ll ever stop doing.

“Don’t be silly, you won’t die anytime soon,” I say.

When the last comedy ends
She is curled in foetal position next to me
Asleep

Her head rests upon my shoulder

I turn out the lights
Shut the door.
I have a heart.

No comments: