Friday, May 13, 2005

Well, Finally

And so, the weekend is here!
I look forward to hibernating in a big way.
Just me, and me. And boy is it getting me excited!
I can't wait!
Going to switch off my phone.
Stock up on food and DVDs.
Lock the doors.
and just
Stay IN.
(oops forgot to say alcohol)
It's getting better though,
last night I went home,
chucked my shit in the room
and
started to cook.
Oh how therapeutic
slicing, dicing, sauteing, searing, simmering,
my music going full-blast
my lychee martinis doing their lethal job
"Chilli Con Carne" says I,
when my house-mate waltzes in
heading straight for the steaming pot
"What?" says she, "Where is it from?"
But not knowing doesnt deter her
she dips in a spoon
and says, " Mmmmmmmmm"
Then runs straight for the phone
" Come and eat!, I don't know what it is she cooked, but it sure tastes good!"
Of course my chilli is adapted to suit my tastes or needs of the moment .
5 types of legumes
bucketfuls of caramelised onions
handfuls of garlic
Bell Peppers, Chillis
minced beef
sweet, crunchy corn
and even
chicken breast
It is the ultimate comfort food,
most Malaysians have not tried, let alone heard of it.
And if they have tried it, its probably a crappy version not worth remembering.
It was the first thing that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named ever cooked for me.
And later on, it became a dish we cooked together.
One of us would start,
and an inevitable rotating dance would begin,
each naturally taking over
at intervals
destined
by
senses and tastebuds.
So I coached my house-mate
Pleased at her adventurous palate
and flattered by her faith in my cooking

(being Asian, we eat with fluffy, steamed rice)
First, the rice
Then top with chilli
Top with some grated cheddar
"Cheese?" she balks "NO cheese on my rice!"
and thats where the adventurousness ends.
"Leave it in the pot, it'll mature and get better in the next few days"
I say, as I retire to my room, with my bowl and DVD.
When I come out again later, her boyfriend has come and they are on to their second servings.
If it lasts over the next few days, that is.

No comments: