Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Marriage Schmarriage

Something someone mentioned in a recent email about
feeling the pressure cos everyone else is getting married
reminded me of a radio feature recently done here
on the rising number of women who don't believe in marriage.

Isn't that friggin scary?

But which is worse

not believing in marriage or a marriage of convenience?

So often nowadays we are surprised
and even congratulate a couple who's been married
over a decade (you realise that is a bad thing?)
we've been so numbed by divorce that
we forget the meaning of
'til death do us part'

I've seen my fair share of marriages falling apart
(namely my parent's)
Well, no, I wasnt there to see see it fall apart
I was a baby, but...
anyways I've seen enough relationships fall apart

and really if you have to ask yourself
whether you want to marry this person or not..
maybe I am naive, idealistic whatnot
but don't you just know?

And I don't mean being 13 and knowing
I mean being an adult, having gone through enough relationships
surely we should know this is the one?

But having said that, some people never know
and some always think they know

So its just a combination of things
guess you just gotta learn to play smart
sacrifice, work hard at it and know that being completely
in love now helps
but doesn't guarantee forever.

Having said that, some arranged marriages work out
just parfait (and I don't mean dessert)

What tangents.

obviously I could never be an agony aunt
Libran agony aunt at that
arguing both sides of the fence while straddling it

Point is: What is the world coming to when people
don't believe in marriage, when they get married because they think
their time is up or its the 'in' thing?

Having said that, I've been to two glorious
weddings this month,
one seemingly perfect, wise
another slightly dysfunctional fluctuating clashing
yet working
annd earlier this year, Butta's perfect, unexpected union.


No comments: