Saturday, October 14, 2006

Birthday Grub

Dadman, NMTP and I are sitting down
to rare quiet at the dining table

The whirlwind that was YM has
raged in this room then swept upstairs
and out the front door.

My theory is that YM is at this age
where any other male presence in the house
disturbs him, and thus verbally attacks Dadman

He's not rebellious in any sense outside
but tends to get frustrated over petty things
with his parents at home
I don't think I ever had the chance to go through
this kind of teenage phase with my background
so I do what I can to neutralise.

We all know that there is no point
arguing so we weather the storm
wait for it to pass
and carry on with our conversation like
nothing happened.

The brass knocker drops
NMTP tells Dadman to go and let YM in
He hesitates then they turn to me and tell me
"On second thought, you'd better get it,"

I bound upstairs, throw open the door
and there stands YM looking chastised
"Who shut the door on me?"

"No one, it shut itsself," I say
Then I open my arms and say
"Come here you silly cow. Enough shouting.
ANd be nice its my birthday. If something irks you
just count to 10 and ignore it."

We hang around in the sitting room for a bit
then I take him downstairs
where he apologises to the parents
and we sit down to my birthday supper.



No comments: