Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Spatter

Spatter is my mouthful of coffee hitting the screen.

I am sitting here sending off
one-liner email replies
when the clunking of the brass knocker
sends me shooting out of my seat

YM who is watching TV in the next room
does the same and we collide in front of the door
we are expecting the new printer
(I desperately need to print my schedule out)
he pulls it open

A delivery man stands with a package
too small to be a printer

He squints at it
I have a package here for
"Ehhh....." *squint* quizzical eyebrow lift*

"Aja", I say, stepping forward, retrieving parcel

"I used to deliver up in ..somewhere somewhere and there
was a man with the same last name,
is it a common name, Nhhh-Ghhh? [Nug-Gerh]"

"Ng [Uhng]" I correct before I collapse into a fit of giggles
Ben is more polite and disappears into the sitting room to laugh

Nhhh-Ghhh, like nigger.
Kanneh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! the vowel-less surnames always catch the angmohs out. you should hear them try to pronounce Ch'ng - it's a riot!

is it my shtuff?! oh please tell me it's my shtuff!

Julsgp said...

LOL they couldnt pronounce NG!?!!?1 hahah those kuai los damn funny sometimes...