Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Culture Vulture

Well, what a weekend.
Friday we went for a classical concert
then Sunday we went to the opera, La Boheme
ho-emotional-er.

It is after the classical concert that
the family and I sit down to a Thai meal
at Thai Edge
the food is explosive, fiery
and YM and NMTP give up after a few mouthfuls
even I am struggling
"Isn't it too spicy?You've got to agree that it is
ridiculously so," says YM to me

I shrug, displaying false bravado
the fact that I am asian compels me to act as though
I pop cabai burungs as a midnight snack

My eyes are watering, the roof of my mouth
stinging, I try not to gulp my water down
knowing from MTP that water doesn't help anyway.

Conversation moves on to travel
and somehow Canada
I mention my love for streetdogs
(being the only fast food I willingly eat without
a self imposed guilt trip)
"But proper, big sausages though, not franks," I say

-pause-

"So you like your sausages big eh?" says YM in a tone implying
nothing polite
I throw my hands over my ears, aghast
"YM!" chides NMTP, "That was rude!"

YM shrugs
"I am 13 going on 14 you know, what do you expect?"
And really, what can one say to that?

Yep, I signed up for this.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha sharp kid. i think i like him. but quite the cheek on a 13-yr old, eh? :)

Eaglet said...

Kwailan man.He's damn kwailan (=
See you soon?

Anonymous said...

yes ma'am! most definitely. :)

Anonymous said...

j3, how about showing a little more enthusiasm, eh? :P

Anonymous said...

ah shurrup, you stoner. :p

Shimmers said...

everyone's happy she's coming back!

Eaglet said...

Yay! I'm so happy to be coming back!

Gila: Ya hor, J3 not very excited le. Looking forward to seeing you guys!

Anonymous said...

Aja likes big fat juicy sausages. Hahaha...