Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Sunset Schmunset

Blue and I whiled the weekend evenings away at Sigi's for happy hour.
Cept' Sunday when we were stuck under the thatched excuse-of-a-bar that is the Parkroyal Bar.
But let me tell you, on Saturday, something beautiful happened.
Scene: Aja and Blue are sitting in the rain at the al fresco area of Sigi's. Aja has no drink, Blue is drinking a rain-water and beer cocktail. The staff at Sigi's are staring out at them like they are lunatics.
Sez Blue: " I've been in this country almost 17 months and I have never seen a classic sunset, have you ever seen a classic sunset?"
Sez I:" Whit do you mean a classic sunset?, I used to stare out and take pictures of sunsets almost each day when I lived at the Reef"
Sez Blue: " A classic sunset m'dear, is when the sun merges with the water. Here, just as the sun is aboot to merge with the water, a mist seems to cover it (the merging), thus, not classic."
Sez I: " Dunno, never noticed."
So then we proceed, Blue and I, to drink (by now I have ordered my classic dry vermouth with 7-up and lemon wedge) in the rain as it pours harder. Ahead of us, the skies seem clear, the sun is a blazing ball of amber fire, the sky is shot through with varying shades of reds and oranges.
The palms are swaying in the rain, and behind us, a richly hued rainbow appears.
The feeling is surreal. I just knew that next, that 'classic sunset' would happen.
And it did. Raining over us, but in the horizon that glowing ball dipped til it touched the edge of the sea then slowly sank behind it. Then it was gone, just like that.
Poof.
These things always happen to me.(thats what I'd like to believe anyways)
I remember in Canada, I had never seen snow, and everyone(even the Canadians) told me it was April and way too late for it to snow.
But it did!
I remember, leaving Halifax it started to snow and I was so excited, then as we drove towards Moncton, New Brunswick there was a full-blown snow-storm! No one could believe it.
It happened just for moi.

No comments: