Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Altogether Anal

I had dinner with one Father, one half-brother, and one-stepmother last night.
This is what we were.
Inching towards the SUV
A family of four
gingerly picking their way
across road and grass
avoiding the stuff
that comes out of a dog's arse
We are anal. All of us, in our own way. We are 6, 21, 33 and 52.
------------------------------------------------------
"Watch out for dog-shit," says Daddy, " No one gets into the car with dog-shit."
" No touching the tables, chairs, door-handles with your hands: GERMS!"
"I really hope you're not letting people sip from your straw at school, imagine the deseases you could catch"
" Oh, dear god, please don't sit on my bed in your outside clothes! Now I will have to change all the sheets, duvet and pillowcases!" (me!)
"Please open the door for me, I can't bear to touch the handle"
" Mummy, I'd rather fall off the escalator and break my nose than hold on"
" Smoke, someone is smoking! Gosh smokers are sooooo inconsiderate, if I were prime-minister I would pass a law to shoot all smokers immediately"
"You can wear your " inside-of-the-house" slippers out in the garden but please don't wear your "farther-outside-of-the-house-than-the-garden" slippers inside the house."
----------------------------------------------------------------
While we dined silently on white asparagus flown in from Germany, Frog's legs and Fried Chicken, I listed it out in my head.
All I really wanted right then was a ciggarette.
And yes, they know. This means my family will shoot me if the law is ever passed.
Anal-retentiveness is always thicker than blood.

No comments: