Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The Curse of the Pink Dress

You know that little ditty? goes like,
Gayle and Kat
Sitting on a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
???
I now have my own
Vans and Aja sitting under a tree
C-U-R-S-I-N-G
Its Monday, blazing hot. The sun is reflecting of the highway making it seem like a long stretch of glinting broken glass.
*How does Aja have the time to notice these things when she's supposed to be hurtling down the highway towards work on that island gem of Penang?
We are standing on the highway shoulder, staring with disbelief and dismay at 'that thing' under the open hood of the car.
The Engine.
Unknown. Uncharted. Alien. Distant. Dark. Unexplained. Undiscovered.Unapprehended. Mysterious. Little Known.
'Whatchamacallit?' territory that is the very height of ignorance to two very intelligent brunettes who, at this very moment, feel very lost indeed.
" Aja, Where are we?"
Says Vans in the shrill, high-pitched tones that denotes one who is succumbing to panic.
" Don't worry babes, we are in Changkat Jering" says I.
HaH like that bloody well helps.The only reason I know we are at Changkat Jering is because I READ EVERYTHING. This includes all road signs.
Words are beacons of light in the dark tunnel that is my mind.
No one stops to help.
The car is massively overheated.
We are frantically calling all the manly men that we know for tele-life-saving chat called 'Cars 101'.
My x boyfriend drops the phone in a fit of laughter when I asked 'where do I fill the water in?'
Blue offers to bring the chopper around a take us for a Pangkor Laut rendezvous, but only after he has called us two dumb blondes standing on the side of the highway.
Adrian tells me to open the cap thingee with a thick cloth but, 'don't burn yourself!'
Sunny says, 'I need that jet-ski part'.
Feeling thoroughly dejected and alone. Vans and I make our way 500yrds across the sizzling hot tarmac, across mushy muddy grass, to take shelter under an ant infested tree. I take out a ciggarette. It is then, that we find out that our one and only lighter has ceased to work.
Ah a savior! A man has come (don't they always?taken both ways...)
He putters around under the hood, fills it with water.
There was alien talk about gaskets but it was established that it was not serious and soon we were on our merry way again!
It was the curse of the pink dress.You see, I was wearing this new pink dress, and the last time car shit like this happened to us, I was wearing a pink dress too.
Many of you may already know this story, when slightly less than a year ago, Tracy,Vans, May and I were enroute from Bar Savahn to Velvet afterVince's Champagne Party.
May said, " Turn into this alley"
Vans said, " Sure can go or not?"
May said, " If my Airtrek can go, your car surely can one"
CRRRRRRRRRaaaaacCcCCKkkkkkkkKK
*Aja gets out to inspect damage
The rusted zinc that someone had used to cover the drain had somehow torn of and wrapped itself around our rear wheel shaft, of which was still lodged firmly in the drain.
Aja says, " Girls, we have to get out and push"
Girls, " US? PUSH?"
And so it went. We pushed...bla bla bla.
Then, a man came.
Predicament Over.
No more pink dresses, at least not with cars, when there are no men around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1 cure for all your motoring casualties...its called AAM - Automobile Assosiation Malaysia.

They'll fix anything, anywhere in Malaysia. RM60 a month.

jeez...you dunno where to fill in the WATER??? Oh well, God is after all...fair.