Thursday, January 11, 2007

Traversing The Globe

I sat in the car yesterday reading
Anthony Bourdain, occasionally looking up
to exchange knowing glances with
other participants of the 'After-school Pick-up Parking Club'

Slowly getting into the chapter, it began
to dawn on me that I recognised the things he was describing
about a certain ship he was on.

Don't tell me he's on The World I said to me
as I flipped the page.

Then, 'I knew it!'
Its so cool to have been there and know exactly
what they're talking about,
and The World, so exclusive!

I always love that, when you 're reading about a place,
feeling or experience in a book and know
exactly what the person is talking about.

Don't know why, but I really want to read Bill Bryson's Neither
Here Nor There again.
It was written so long ago, and a couple of years ago
when I came to Europe I reread it and compared things
and now, I think I am ready for another go.

So I trundled up to the 3rd floor bookcase in search of it
instead I found The Lost Continent
a book I find scary.

I am always amazed at how no matter how many times
I ponder the bookshelves, I always find something new,
something interesting, and old gem
and the discovery of one always leads
to this hunt for another, then another
til your arms can hold no more
and you take them down to your room and dump them
onto your already overflowing bookcase.

I know what I am doing this weekend.

No comments: