Tuesday, January 09, 2007

London

At 10.15 am, I left home for the train station
it being Sunday meant that trains were less frequent
on this particular one, it meant track repairs as well
meaning I had to take the train from Cardiff
to Swindon, bus from there to Reading
and train to Paddington
then tube to Picadilly Circus.

Half an hour early I found myself drawn magnetically to
Chinatown, where the B and I somehow ended
up whenever we ventured out
us, lovers of dumplings
I felt sad, then told myself to fucking get a grip
then just headed to the National Portrait Gallery
to see this, (good move because it was fascinating)

Later I met Mor and we had tea and scones
at Fortnum & Mason
then she got loss in Virgin like a kid in a candy store
then we caught a cab to the Savoy

Service was top-notch
Mor impressed the sommelier with her choices on wine
he seemed quite keen when he walked me all the
way out of the restaurant, through the lobby and to the door of the
ladies' when I merely asked for directions
but really, who cares?

I had Foie Gras Parfait to start and
we both had the Roast Rib Eye with the works
for mains, accompanied with by a brilliant syrah
dessert came in the form of passionfruit creme brulee for me
and chocolate mousse,cake thing for her,
with a glass of tokay
possibly the height of sunday roasts

And really good seeing Mor, letting her let off steam,
considering a trip
to Copenhagen too, something I really want to do
by 8.30 I was on the train to Westbury, by 10.30 changing trains for Cardiff
by 1 am, stepping out of a cab in front of home.

About 8 hours of travelling.
Was it worth it? Yeah.

No comments: