Thursday, January 18, 2007

Blown Away

Life is good
in fact, for all I've worried about the pass
year, I couldn't have expected a better outcome.

Yet I am blue. Can I be PMS-ing again?
I don't know.

The weather is atrocious to say the least,
a glance towards the terrace shows the
garden chairs blown asunder
the wind has been gusting all night
terrific whooshes every few minutes
yet, there is no howling.

Snippets of the news tells us that here and there
people are injured by falling trees and what-not.

Today didn't start out too hot (as in 'so well')
I've decided to take advantage of the UK's free healthcare
system and wanted to do a full 'women's' check-up
at the hospital today
which required me to be at the doors at 8
posing a bit of a problem
(a) I had YM to drop to school
(b) I only had a rough outline where it was

YM likes to sit and chat in the car for a few minutes
in the school car park, so you can imagine
he was peeved when I very nearly shoved him out the door

The storm was unrelenting
traffic was heavy, streets submerged
windows fogged, rendering road signs unreadable.

When I finally got there, it was a quarter to
I released the lock on the car door
and whhooooooooooosshhhh the wind yanked it open
I got out, trying not to be swayed and shut the door
and the door would.not.shut.

I stood there in disbelief and tried and tried
bang bang bang, useless bouncing back
I got back into the car, having to hold the door closed
to keep the rain and wind out

I called Dadman
Dadman called the breakdown service
the said 2 and a half hours-ish
the storm was causing other motorists problems too.

Dadman told me to go for a coffee
and what?leave the door wide open?

2 and a half hours of holding the door down
fucking brilliant.

I wound the seat-belt around door handle
but it wouldnt reach the buckle then
so I slipped it over my left thigh
and read my book.

I sat up, I lay down
I stretched my feet, I flexed my fingers
I cracked my toes, I curled my knees
and still, tick tick tick

One hour into this, the RAC man calls
"It'll be 2 hours yet love.."
he said.
"I've been sat in the car for 2 hours already!"
I nearly growled back
"I'll see if I can shuffle things around" he murmured.

In all through this, as I read
"A Short History of Tractors in Ukraina"
it flitted in my sub-concious that this was just
a minor problem, probably so easily fixed
that I'd end up feeling like a complete, utter dimwit.

Was it? Yes.
He arrived 40 mins later
one little deft hand movement when I blinked
and it was done..ta-dah!

"Wha???" I sputtered, stunned " I feel like such an idiot!
3 hours in the car!! What did you do?"

"I cheated, here let me teach you, simple door mechanics,"

Something they could have told me to do on the phone.
BLEH!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I came home, abandoned plans for the day.
Made myself a huge bowl of Kway Teow Th'ng
so good for the weather
spoke to my aunt a bit, spoke to the ray of sunshine
felt much better.

Watched a movie a bit, ate some ice-cream
slept a bit.

Now I am craving Burger King.
Like, bad. Which happens oh, three times a year?
Its a comfort food thing, then after I gorge I'll feel sick
So I am tahaning.

Oh! There's an email backlog. I am slowly answering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So then right, I went to pick YM from school
stopping for McDonald's on the way
we bounded into the front door
and Dadman's worried face peered at me
"Are you alright lovely?I've worried about you
all day."

And oh how bad I felt
but its like this one, some days he's depressed at work
(boredom) and I worry about him
and other days I am depressed and he worries about me
but I feel so bad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a separate note,
Macckers is supposed to be globally consistent
but its not, just now the Mc Nuggets tasted like
sawdust fried in 2 week old oil
Jeez, that'll teach me.

1 comment:

Julsgp said...

whooo...weather is bad too there it seems. I'm stuck days in the house also.. no thanks to the weather..