Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Last CPH Sunday

At 1 pm, I finally face the fact that
more sleep just isn't going to happen

The phone has been ringing and the
Marble Church bells have been tolling
for all of Denmark

Faced with the idea of microwaved coffee
and walking 132 steps to 'Le Chat Noir',
I pull on faded jeans and a top
into my pockets I stuff last night's change
my phone, keys and grab a book.

I walk down the narrow steps and
am greeted by a tall, blond hunk of man

'Hej' he smiles, teeth gleaming
'Hej' I reply, passing him by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Half an inch of foam tops my double shot latte
the decor in the cafe is all black leather and faded wood
framed black 'n' whites on straw coloured walls
newspapers on round marble table-tops

Bright arts posters line the bar,
add a shot of colour

A guy in a red shirt at the corner sips Schwepps,
a bag of spring onions at his side
I can taste them, sharp and pungent

Outside an old man sits
beading glass of dark beer, buried in his book

In the centre, a gay couple laugh
over sunday brunch

Red shirt leaves, walking tall and straight
back broad, ripply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Malaysian girl sits by the window
sipping her coffee like its nectar of the gods
she observes the going-ons
In her hand, a book White Ghost Girls
her flip-flops are a bright orange
she looks comfortable, like she belongs
no bag, no touristy things
yet in a few days, she's to leave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am lying on my belly in the grass, wishing I had a bikini
the courtyard is deserted, peaceful
I take my clothes off

Kidding!

Outside of the square I can hear the swirls of traffic
yet here, breeze rushes through the trees
and birds sing,
green, yellow, orange, blue, white
the pastel colour of each apartment block
standard, unchanged since god knows when

I worry about grass stains on my bustier
but am falling asleep
when I wake, there is a weblike
grass pattern stenciled into my skin.

I dial Vans in London
" Babes, can't believe I'll be there soon!"
"Me too!" she shrieks

"Whats the weather like ah?"
"Oh the weather ah? Like you lorrr"

"Oh, you mean hot is it?"

"No la! One minute very cheery, bright and nice
wahhh, the next right, suddenly lightning lah,
thunderlah, rainlah!"

Bitch.

No comments: