Wednesday, July 06, 2005

How Do I Love Again?

she asked.

"How do I trust again?"
Her eyes are large, wet with tears unshed.

I have no answers, or maybe I do.
But I know she is a listener of the heart.
and when you are a listener of the heart
nothing anyone says changes anything.

Another relationship crumbles
Another cheating spouse
Another tattered heart
Another ghost let loose in the Kingdom of Singledom
Another soul constantly wondering

"Why the fuck wasn't I good enough?"

Another person curled foetally in bed
protecting a bleeding heart
from the haunting loneliness clawing at their back.

We all say
we' ll never love again
and yet some people will open their hearts again
with such reckless abandon
some do it knowingly
embracingly
some so cautiously
treading ever so lightly

some are so inundated by new love
that they forget.

We live for love
some of us
until it happens one too many times
we can no longer bear the pain of a broken heart
for
we know for sure
the next one will kill

so we live in fear
of finding the love that will one day kill us
and yet we pine for that love
thinking life is not complete unless it finds us.

Sometimes I don't know
whether I live for it
or in fear of it.

No comments: