Saturday, June 10, 2006

Au Revoir Mayleen!

Its pitch black when I open my eyes
my phone tells me it's 5.15 am

I flip on the the lamp

"Mayleen! Wake up! We're supposed to be there already!"
I yell frantically while on my way to the bathroom to wash up

When I come out, she's still snug as a bug
"Oi! Wake up, we're supposed to have been the 10 mins ago
Daddy just called!"

She sits up, looking bleary eyed and blur
"I don't understand" she says

"What don't you understand?"

"I just don't understand how this happened, I set my alarm, I don't understand"

"It rang and you put it off and went right back to sleep"

She still sitting there, shaking her head " I don't understand how this happened"
I tell her to get out of bed and make like a hare
she steps off, sways

"Oh my god!" I shout

"What?" says she

"You're still drunk!Oh my god, what are we going to do?"

"Oh my god, I am!
What are we going to do?Your mom and my dad will kill me!"

"No, My dad and your mom.."
I say half laughing, half panicked
you see, if you've met my crazy-arsed, maternal side
or read about them, then you can imagine the total opposite of them
super straight chinese family

"Oh my god, oh my god" we chorus, giggling
like fools, stumbling around the room

then I remember the plan at hand
get packing, get ready, gotta go!

She goes off, mumbling about forgetting things
because she's in a rush
and having an imaginary conversation with our parents
about how Aja is such a bad influence and took her out
and got her soo drunk
I'm watching her and laughing hysterically

"You're going to blog this aren't you?" she says when she collapses on the
floor next to her suitcase

"Most definately!" and we burst into peals of laughter again

We finally get to the car and have to move
my bright green suitcase into the boot
to put hers in the back seat

When I start driving I know the boot door isn't shut properly
but there's no time to stop and I have horrible
mental images of the door opening and my suitcase bouncing onto tar

"Oh my god, will they be able to smell it?I'm going to be so dehydrated!"

"There'll be water on the plane sweetie"

"Oh... Yeah."

I'm coaching her, telling her not to talk to them, just keep quiet
don't say a word, and for god's sake don't giggle!
and then we giggle and giggle and giggle

Then, we're there
fling ourselves out of the car
hugs, kisses, goodbye
Then she's gone.


Supercoolnessbeyondwords type of holiday.

No comments: