Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Tots

Rachael Yamagata really makes me melancholy.

I was in the same elevator yesterday, with a man and his 4-5 year old daughter
She played peek-a-boo with me on the way down
When they got downstairs
he made her wait underneath the tree, in the shade

while he went to the car and cooled it down for her

I sat in mine, and couldn’t help but smile at how sweet
they were.

~~~~~~~

For some reason this scene comes to mind
It’s maybe 7 years ago
And my sister has just started kindergarten

We sit in the living room together
in a rare moment alone without the parents.

I am teaching her how to purse her lips
allow the slight tremble
angle her head down
And look up with big beseeching eyes

“Anytime mummy or daddy don’t give you anything darling,
this is what you must do,” I coach her

Today, she uses it on me.
I'm such a sucker.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that's why people don't share their trade secrets...

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try that the next time I see you.