Monday, May 08, 2006

Car Rides Can Be Fun

Nat drives, beside her
57 yr-old Ray Sr is singing Gwen Stefani's- Hollaback Girl
other times he catches the tune of whatever
hip-hop rap or apeshit alternative rock song that's playing
and makes up his own lyrics
damn believable man

Ray Jr and I sit in the back seat
we alternate between playing the
stupid hand drinking game (without facing each other)
and owing each other drinks,
texting each other
and singing his stupid E40 song- Tell Me When to Go
my cousin is sucking me into his death music

Every so often (at a traffic light normally)
I lean forwards and shout
"Stop It!" at Nat

the Rays were surprised at this at first
but now they get it, Nat has this habit of twisting the
dial of her watch that just drives me up the wall

They introduce themselves to everyone as the Rays now
Sr. is this ball of neverending energy and wisecrackery
that's just unbelievable, impossible for us young ones to keep up with
but riotous
"What are we having for dinner Dad?"

"Halibut, just for the helluvit"
Shucks. Doesn't come out right, you have to be there.

Jr. is quiet but talkative spurts creep up on you

after his first surprising 10 minute spree on the 2nd day,
I applauded and said "You did good, cuz"

We talk shit, he complains I'm bitchy to his girlfriend(s)
and I tell him "Ladies first" when we bowl

He does something stupendously hilarious then turns around to me
while I'm laughing hysterically and warns
"If I go home and find out you blogged this
I'm on the next plane back here and I'm gonna find you
and beat the shit outta you!"

I moan about having to go to work tomorrow
and they gloat at the fact that they're on holiday

*8 days more*

Home.
I get out of the car, throw the ladies fur coat (that sweet Xena gave me)
at Jr. and say " Do you wanna wear it to bed?"
as I shut the car door
he roars "I hope you have a SHITTY day at work!!!"

And that's just an average car ride with my family
god I love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

uggh the custom lyrics, we've learned just to be quiet until he's had his fill, have you been lucky enough to hear the one with the "bodily functions" added to it?

Eaglet said...

Bodily functions??
err not yet. Maybe I'll hear it when we travel. We've been treated to non-stop whistling though..