Friday, January 13, 2006

And Yet Another

I think today we're getting
real time updates
because
I'm too tired to concentrate on anything else.

*badabing badabong*
Bouncy bouncy! This is what lack of sleep,
copious amounts of coffee and an empty office
devoid of Tenacious D does to you kids

Woke up damn early this morning
slept damn late
the sunrise was magnifique
took a pic but forgot to bring le camera to upload
later.

What a glorious day, what a wonderful mood
Early early, got people sms and ask me if I'm feeling better already
so nice
Thank you.

Then early early I also sms people already
may have been a tad too kooky
for a non-early bird
May not have been so appreciated
but heck, live with it.

I cannot breathe through my nose and that's just plain annoying.
*sniff sniff*

I'm just going to be random okay?
Yes yes it's my blog anyways.

And besides, next week I won't be blogging
for a whole week
so you might as well make the most of these
nonsensical posts
or save one for each day next week.

Just now, (as in 5 mins ago)
I had to sign 40 CNY cards
and that's no fun
a fun-fact about it though
was that none of my signatures looks remotely the same.

Hmmm I was just thinking
You know when people like you
but you're undecided,
but enjoy their attention anyways?
then you bask in it
feed it ever so slightly
but when you decide hey, I want it
the person is long gone

We take things granted, assuming that the opportunity will wait til
we are ready, forgetting that somethings
present themselves only for a brief moment
and that we are lucky that these moments even exist
make a choice to leap, or not, and be sure about it.

Well, it's not just people
it's all sorts of things
moments, oppurtunities in life
we leave too much hanging
when we should
think about it once and for all, rationally,
then if it's worth it
grasp it
before
(as immortalised in the movie My Best Friend's Wedding)
the moment just passes you by.
________________________

So my boss and I are at this morning meeting
and I am just eating, totally zoned out
come on la, its the E&O, I picked it for a reason
Omelette, sausages, baked beans, hash, muesli, yoghurt, figs

He talks, and I ponder the weird way his eyes focus
I'm not sure if it's a deliberate point to not look
at the person he's speaking to
(more intellectual mah, if he's looking upwards, sort of like riffling through
the many shelves in the library that is his mind)
or if he just can't control it.

I gently nudge the wrapping up of the meeting
the buffet is closed after all
but even that takes an hour and a half.

We go to the Mercedes showroom
we look at cars
"Test a Smart for Two?" the lady asks
Boss looks at me
"No we have to get back to the office, piles of work!"
The look is now slightly puppy dog
I give in, I'm such a sucker.

Zoom zoom zip
the car's not bad.

We get back into his car.
Madonna and Gorillaz playing
and me, here I am still in Anita Baker and Sade phase
Cannot.

I cajole him into lending me his CDs to copy
he asks what I'll lend him in exchange
Anita does not interest him
John Mayer! I say
great. He gives me
Gorillaz, music to match my kookiness
in return I give him I'm so depressed I want to kill myself.

Oh yes, I do see that raise coming up right about
never.

He says he's hungry
I say we just ate.
He says I did, he didnt.

We enter a rundown Hainanese Chicken Rice place
on Chulia
the food is not too shabby
I love the old-worldiness
(basically NOTHING has been changed since who knows)

We start to speak about his past
He tells me he was Malaysian Young Journalist of the year
sometime in the 80s
before the Star was shut down
at a time when journalism was passionate, raw, aggressive, independent

I am enthralled, captivated by a place in time
that I'll probably never experience
Going undercover, real exposes, writing to give the people a voice,
the truth
They weathered threats and the like, they worked around the clock,
they scooped, and sourced and fought for stories.

What is it now? Writing to sell, writing for business,
leaving out so much because you're afraid that people will come
after you, stop advertising with you.

That's just sad.

Eh? How did I get from happy happy bouncy tra-la-la
to sad?

2 comments:

Edgar "Jobe" Gasper said...

yeah, its true...from editing their stories, to how they run the e-paper...the Stars been getting negative points from me these past few months...but im still the sucker that needs my daily fix of the news...

ive learned to make it a game to spot the lemons tho...but you never can know for sure...

Ive payed for the e-paper, ive submitted for the Thumbnails...ive frequented their interactive blogs n whatnot, all in hopes to rekindle my faith in our local daily...

What did they do? They gave me the impression that they would allow anything for a buck! :(

*sigh*...

about the coffee? yeah, it was kopi-tongkat-ali-ginseng, didnt get enough zzzs lastnite...the mixtures kinda left me a little emotional...

Eaglet said...

Is it only the Star though? I hardly ever read the newspapers.too depressing.