Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Positively Patriotic

I have always been the type of person
who could never settle down
in one place

Always had this burning need to travel
move around
learn and experience
new places
new food
and cultures
see different points of view
see different ways of living
but when I go,
there always comes a point
when I miss Malaysia.

There is a lot that needs changing,
but for now, here's what makes me happy.

Despite some flaws
and some mind-sets
that can eventually
be ironed out
with patience and
education,
our country is beautiful.

I love how here,
4 people of different races can sit
and have a meal together
each person speaking
each other's language
eating each other's food.

Does that happen anywhere else?
I don't know, but I like to think
it's unique to us.

Yes, sometimes there is underlying racial
tension
we jokingly pass racist remarks
in conversations
but at the same time
we all have great friends of each race.



I love the variety
and I love the fact that food
is 'the' Malaysian thing.
It's no surprise that Malaysians love their
food
we meet new people over food
we bond over food
we connect over food
we fight over food
we heal over food
anytime, anywhere

I love the warm weather
the ocean and beaches
our tropical island paradises

I love the city for all it's modern skyscrapers
and creative entertainment variety
it's vibrance til the wee hours of the day

I love driving down the trunk road
and spotting the occasional kampung house
amongst the swaying coconut trees

I love a duty free martini
while soaking in the sun
on Pantai Cenang

I love perusing the market shelves
while holding my breath
at Pulau Tikus market

I love spending Sundays on
a rocky boat
waiting for a fresh catch of barracuda

I love standing in the middle
of the jungle alone
and freezing up at the sound of a
wild-boar trampling around

I love getting tipsy
and taking a trishaw ride
around the old town
at 3 am

I love that our location
makes most places
so easily accessible

I love dusty heritage buildings
and the big old trees

and sometimes, I even love how unruly certain things
in this country are

The fact is, no matter
where I go
or for how long
eventually, I'll always come back to Malaysia.
This is my home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*waves flag*

You might want to turn on word verification on your comments feature.

Eaglet said...

Thank You (=
why suddenly like that one ah?