Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Suddenly, Its Not Just Me

When the Bee arrived on the island of Great Britain
his mobile did not work
thus he could not tell me if he had followed
step one to ten on my
"What to do when you get to Heathrow" list

I did not know if he caught his train to Paddington
I did not know if he caught the next train to Wales
I did not know if he found his train tickets in the hole
that I had dug and hid them in under the train tracks
I did not know if he was even through immigration

All I knew, from Heathrow news, was that his
plane had landed, with or without him

The only thing I could do was

wait on the Cardiff platform, in teethchattering cold
and see if he appeared.

He swooped upon me, and was quite smelly from travel,
accusing me
of not recognising him

Suddenly he was here, flesh, bone,
what was I to do with him now?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I brought him home
he produced a loaf of sourdough bread
which the family and I promptly tore into,
the next day, there was none.

He had his long overdue slice of Christmas cake
and english tea sitting opposite Dadman
and promptly dropped his cake on the table
he was so nervous he was, but so, was Dadman.

Then NMTP and YM came home
and filled up the shy silences
and we all sat down for a sausage casserole supper
and they taught the Bee how to speak English, English.

(and every morning at about 3 am, I am jolted awake
by the Bee, jolting awake, talking in his sleep going
"Pants are underwear, not trousers;
Jelly is Jell-o, not jam"
)

The next morning when we woke
I took the Bee out to explore the land
showed him where we could get provisions
and hunt for food.

We trekked out by the sea
and climbed huge boulders on the coast
(or rather he jumped nimbly from one to the next
while I whimpered and wondered when I had become so
fearful of everything)

When we had killed, skinned and smoked a hog
I made him a bacon sarnie
all because he scoffed at the idea of
"Just bacon?In a sandwich?Nothing else?
Really?"

"Ah but the Bee, said NMTP, it is one of
the most delightful creations of this world".

Obviously, once made by my fair hands
he thought so too.

That night I made a gorgeous seafood curry
for the whole family,
then spent the entire night on tether hooks
because the Bee was running to and from the loo
retching and _______ing something fierce.

Turns out it was only a tiny stomach bug
and he was right as rain by morning

So right, that he enjoyed a massive English fry-up
with black pudding.

We went into town, had Starbucks
and exchanged rude observations
about the physical properties of the inhabitants of this land
then we came home, had tea
and were out the door again for supper
at Dadman's daughter from another marriage's
house.

It would be her, her 3 kids and her husband,
whose name escaped me when I introduced the Bee to him
this is where the Bee broke their tap just before dinner
and sent the men hurrying for toolboxes
while the Bee stood mortified and looking
as though he wanted to cry
daughter of Dadman thanked the Bee, telling him
she had wanted those taps changed for years
(but the Husband would not get it done)
but the Bee would not be consoled

So the women comforted him with stories of other
people's embarrassment.

After supper and some glasses of wine
we (the old and young)
proceeded to play Wii Sports,

which is where the Bee came into his element
playing baseball with the kids, bowling with me
and something other game that escapes me.

He was loud and fun and funny to watch.

Now this Wii thing is amazing!
I actually pulled my dam hamstring from Wii bowling,
my arms ache.

I recommend it if you have an inactive kid who's addicted
to video games or even if you yourself
want to get active in your own living room.

On Sunday, Dadman cooked us a belated Christmas feast
in celebration of the original feast that the Bee
and I did not make

This is where he was introduced to bread sauce
and brussel sprouts (separately, on one plate, not together in a mouthful)
we then went to the Moscow circus with YM and Leyna
and Leyna probably thought we were all crazy
because while the boys sang at the back
I shouted to my own tune in the front.

Then we came home, had asparagus, turkey
and chicken soup and watch Shopgirl in bed.

And now as I type, the Bee is outside,
doing male things
with YM;
Its been like this all day, and there I was worried
they would not get along.

I feel so unwanted.

But you know whats good about this?
every time I think of the Bee, or want to smile at him
or kiss him, he's just next door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life's good right now ain't it?

Good recount of it all...could feel the ups and downs and empathise with the Bee. You kids take it easy.