Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Castle-ing

Last weekend, I made us a picnic
and we set out in the car, castle-hunting
I drove for hours, on narrow cliff roads,
down cramped country lanes
and together we got lashed by the ferocious wind
thus had to eat our lunch in the car, facing the sea
(roast chicken, potato salad, broccoli,carrots in basil butter)

We then hiked up the mountain nearly being blown over
a ledge overlooking the ocean
and that was when I stamped my feet and said
"I WANT TO GO HOME!"

But we soldiered on, castle after castle
ruin after ruin
then we snuck into the castle owned by the late
Sir William Randolph Hearst
(Jr or Sr, beats me)

18th century churches, gargoyles, secret garden pathways
ya-dah, ya-dah, ya-dah
on the way out, we picked up 3 hitchhikers
sent them to the historic town of Llantwit Major
then we drove pass another castle
and contemplated going in
I turned to the Bee and said
"Seen one ruin, seen them all!"
And together we chanted "Seen one ruin, seen them all!"

So we just came home, drank wine, ate duck pate on toast
and watched a movie in bed
then we got dressed up and braved the crazy
crowds in town(St Paddy's Day plus Wales vs England rugby)
all for Thai food.








No comments: