Thursday, March 01, 2007

I Am Expecting!

Not a baby.... but the Bee
=)

Let me tell you about the last time I expected him.

It was December 06,
and the Bee and I had booked his ticket
months and months ago, when I was still living
in Copenhagen on one of those cheap, non-change, non-refund
websites

Luckily for us, when I moved from Copenhagen, there
was no need to buy him and new ticket because
his original flight to Copenhagen was via London

We had not seen each other in over 200 hundred days
we were nervous as fark, I mean, what if
we saw each other again and HATED each other?
What if he smelled? What if he farted in his sleep?
What if I didn't even recognise him?

The day came for him to leave
it was about 4am my time, when he called
"Babe, they won't let me get off in London."

"No fucking way!"

"I wouldn't kid at a time like this."

Turns out the airline were being pricks
and though he would get off and change planes at Heathrow
they WOULD NOT LET HIM STOP THERE
our options were
(a) go to Copenhagen
(b) buy a new ticket for 1000 pounds
(c) forget about the trip

"Go to Copenhagen" I said
"I will get to you somehow"

and that was it, 4 am and I was galvanised into action
I went on airline websites, looked for flights to Copenhagen
my credit card was denied when I tried to book
one for an exorbitant amount
I emailed MTP in Denmark for help
I text her too, then sat awake, frozen with helplessness.

I had already got my train tickets to London for 10am
supposedly to get to London just in time
to meet the Bee.

MTP called at 7 am soon as she got my text
I was practically crying (oh wait, I was crying)
on the phone to her

And she, was solid as a rock advising me on what to do
the most practical decision, which was that rather than fly
me there, she booked the Bee into a hotel that night
and also booked a flight back to London first thing the
next morning; I text-ed him all the reservation
codes and details

A break in Copenhagen would have been wonderful
but didn't fit into our budget, especially since ongoing
flights,trains etc had been pre-booked and paid.

Dadman woke up for work, I told him
my predicament, but there was little he could do,
so he hugged me and left.

Groggy, yet jittery from caffeine, caught my train to London
NMTP called to see how I was getting on, I remember.

That morning, was the first day that winter
that it got real cold; as the train hurtled through
England, I saw for the first time that season
trees brittle with frost, fog had set in
big-time, and the whole country had almost come
to a standstill.

Once in London, I met my cousin M and her man for lunch
and we all shook our heads in disbelief at the
situation.

Imagine this: You wait hundreds of days to see someone
each day building up to this one day, and when it
finally comes, you find you must wait a day longer
and worst still that you will both be in the same city
but unable to see each other.

I was determined that I would see the Bee that day.

I sent him numerous SMS, so that he would get them
as soon as he got into Heathrow.

"Go to the British Airways staff, tell them your girlfriend
was supposed to fly from London and meet you in Copenhagen
but there's an emergency and you NEED to get off
that plane in LONDON."

"British people are nicer, they'll understand."

When he got in, he text me.

"Hop to it!" I told him.

It was 2.30pm, his flight was supposed to land
and hour earlier.

At 4.30pm we were still texting back and forth.

"What did they say?" I asked

"My flight is cancelled."

"What do you mean canceled?Canceled for you, or canceled
for all?"

"Canceled, canceled. What don't you understand
about canceled? I am waiting for my baggage."

Turns out the fog had gotten so bad, flights
were being canceled left, right and centre;
Thousands of people were stranded that weekend, many not making it
home for Christmas, many having lost their luggage
the Bee being one of them.

I shot into action, showered, dressed, took a bus to the Tube station
got on the train to Heathrow.

Now my heart was beating, now my palms were sweating;
we arranged a rendezvous at Starbucks, Terminal 3.

Dup dup, dup dup, dup dup
Then I spotted him, same moment he spotted me
I fell into his arms, and that,
was it.

History.

Turns out he farts in bed something fierce, and
steals the covers too, but heck, who cares?

Today, the Bee comes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee...now I know why you were being all...well...you. Sorry for aggravating you by accident today. Wasn't too good for my health to poke the bear...

Glad it all worked out. Now turn that frown upside down eh? The Bee is in town...

¥võÑňĚ said...

YAY... mine will be here on the 7th. WOOOHOOO so I know how you feel.