Thursday, February 02, 2006

Of Missing Bras & Pestle and Mortars

*Barely noon and already I have spent
over 200 bucks


Phone beeps woke me at half-past nine
and I scoot out of bed

my fringe is still hairsprayed back at the top of my head
don't worry, i showered before I went to bed

Champagne leaves no hangover
which is a good thing
cos I can't afford one today

Its a brilliant day! The sky is a clear, bright blue
and I'm juggling things about in my head
trying to fit a beach visit
in between prepping and cooking dinner

Yes, the girls are coming!
Entry fee is a bottle of wine
hah!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am at the market and my favorite green-grocer-type-person
has no basil
cannot.
I need basil

So I walk around the other stalls
peering at their herb stores

I spy some
the guy tells me they are all he's got
and reserved

I bat eyelashes
he hands over a sprig
'is that all? please, I need more'
I get half the bunch.

I head back to my favourite guy
but along the way I pass the smaller stalls
then I feel bad for them so I buy a little bit
from each

I stand in front of him
for a long time
aware that I am standing there, staring into space
yet not completely there

"Why are you just standing here?" he asks

"I'm trying to plan my menu" I answer

Pumpkin for Fion
cos lettuce because theres always a way to use it
spring onions and bell-peppers for the crabcakes
courgette and chillies for the pasta
10 plump local tomatoes for I don't know what
I know they will not be sweet, I know they're lacking tastewise
yet I buy them
because they look pretty
decide what to do later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are at the supermarket
for olive oil and rocket

There is not rocket
what a bitch
Giant is so inconsistent man
always run out of rocket one
today, it's crucial
nevermind, I remember got some left in my fridge

I aimlessly stroll the aisles
still improvising in my head
we pass cherries
and suddenly me and me
are arguing with each other
one is for making a cherry cheese cake
the other, totally against
I have my period and am cramping something fierce
I give in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Third stop is the fishing village
that used to be opposite Mar Vista
When I walk down the broken steps
it is abandoned
Empty shells

I'm panicking
both starter and maincourse depend on this place okay?
In my head is Nat's voice
'Don't panic', she says
Don't panic

I make a phone call
the tsunami did not kill my fisherman
I'm directed to his new place of business

There is no crab.
I mean there are live crab but no crab-meat
I feel like stomping my feet and screaming

my cramps are punchin blows in my belly
first no basil, then no rocket
now no crab?What the fark man!
and I have pimples suddenly okay?

I offer to buy the live crab and have the girl cook
and pick them for me
she says she's too busy
then heads back into the freezers to look again
half her body disappears down into the dark
her butt is winking at me
she comes up triumphant
One.last.packet.

When I pay, prices are up 25%.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandma wants to know why I want the pestle and mortar
I don't want to tell her because she will crash my party
but I cannot lie
so I tell her my aunt will bring her some cheesecake later
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My favourite (only) strapless bra
has gone on strike
eversince I ranted about bras the other day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now me go prep
Later me go pool/beach
then me go sleep
then me go cook.

Don't Panic.

3 comments:

sic6sense said...

poor gran.she might enjoy a glass or two.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with bras. Thats why I don't wear them anymore.

Anonymous said...

chocolate, aja, works very well when arguing with cramps