Monday, December 11, 2006

The Rocky Horror Show

The family has just finished partaking
without complaint in my
meal of jasmine rice, masak lemak and
nana's kunyit chicken (baked, not deep fried)

It is half six and our show is at half seven
we are about to leave
the men are upstairs, I am downstairs getting my coat
and NMTP is in my loo

Suddenly I hear Dadman
"YM, didn't you say the show started at half 7?
Says here on the ticket its 6pm"
I stiffen with anticipation of whats to come.
"Noooooo, it can't be!" shrieks YM
in a flood of tears
angry and upset doesn't begin...

"Whats the matter?" asks NMTP when she emerges and
sees me stock still at the bottom of the stairs
I quickly explain and she dashes up
hurriedly bundling a hysterical
YM, me and Dadman out of the house.

"Whats the point?" shouts YM
punching the car ceiling
"They won't let us in, its already started!"

"Oh hush, we'll drive like the wind and
find a way to get in," says NMTP

But YM is inconsolable
he is sobbing his heart out, yet throwing
a fit like no other at the same time

"I knew something would go wrong!
I've been looking forward to this, my birthday treat
for FOUR months! Nobody thought to check!"
he shouts, punching the seat.

"Stop it, this is disgusting behaviour!
You wont make anything better by doing this!"
retorts NMTP, who is rarely ruffled.

"I will NOT stop it!
It makes ME feel better!" roars YM.

I rub his shoulders.

We swing into the theatre. They tell us that there's no point
going in.

"What about the next show?"
Only 2 singles left, it is the last show of the season

All around us men are dressed in fish-nets and bustiers
white-lab coats, stillettos
The women bare even more.

YM is desolate.

"What about house-seats?" ask NMTP
as the receptionist raises his eyebrow
"We're in the business" she smirks
"oh well, we can give you 3, but you'll have to buy
1 ticket," he says

"We'll take it!"

Later we stroll the winter wonderland
I hand each member of the family
a satsuma that I secretly squirrelled pocket-ways
before the big brou-ha-ha

As we watch people skid about in the ice-rink
and crash into the barrier
warming our hands with cups off mulled wine

I nudge YM
"Good tantrum," I say
"Yeah, haven't had one of those in ages"
he says
"Hmm I just mentioned that the other day,
guess I spoke too soon" pipes NMTP

"You know, it really did make me feel better
once I'd gotten it out," YM tells us

"And I suppose YM, that to a certain extent, you're
right, its not a bad thing. You let all
your anger out at home and don't go
out and do stupid things like drugs and stuff.
And you apologise."

And its true. If you would have seen the tantrum...
and what amazed me more is,
YM didn't swear, not once.

Which wouldn't be surprising if he didn't swear period
but he does, sometimes with me
and believe me, if I was in that state
I'd have cussed like a trucker.

Rocky Horror Show
turned out to be pretty darn enjoyable
especially for the audience participation
damn cool how everyone comes dressed up
and entire theatre, on their feet
singing and dancing to the
late night, double feature, picture show..

No comments: