Friday, February 18, 2005

Gloomy Sunday

This morning I have listened to Gloomy Sunday at least 10 times, I listen to it now. Needless to say, my mood has plummeted.

I have always listen to emotional songs, heartbreak, depression. John Mayer, Sarah Mclachlan...etc. The more, emotional, the better.

Gloomy Sunday.

This song has a following of suicides, hundreds. So many in Europe that it was banned, then America followed. A 14 year old boy heard a beggar humming it, gave the beggar all his money then jumped to his death in the river. An 82 year old man heard the strains of the music and jumped of his balcony. Numerous heart broken people committed suicide with the lyrics clutched to their bodies.

The guy who wrote it in the 1940s wrote it after his own painful break-up. When it became a hit, he and his ex made arrangements for a reconciliation, the next day she took her own life with poison. He eventually did the same.

Since everybody around me is depressed, I had better stop playing it. But it is addicitive.
I don't want to be the cause of anything.
Does it matter that the song ends with some form of consolation: that its all a dream.

No comments: