Friday, April 16, 2010

Suspension

Maybe it is the seconds in between wakefulness and
sleep
when you are drifting, already in a dream but not completely
submerged within it
yet.

Maybe it is then that one is at their most open
vulnerable

I was suspended in that state last night
almost lost, yet there, solid on his chest
and he said it, again
and I could feel it, my natural reaction
springing out of me
but I caught it, those words
and I reeled them back in
and they turned around and soothed me
told me to allow myself to sleep, that they would be good
and a split second before I fell
they jumped out, went careening out of my mouth
sought him out

I remember my shock, such betrayal
the momentary fright
and then I was out cold.


2 comments:

Beyond said...

Yes you heard it right, those words meant were meant to betray, it is good you got them right. Had you still believed in me you would have been lost for a longer time.

Anonymous said...

I like it.
I've had instances of sleep paralysis
and I felt like that